While lunch at the university and the excursion dinner are taken care of, you may want to explore local restaurants for dinner the other days.
There are a lot of restaurants in and around Hyde Park. Here are some recommendations (but there are many, many more). These are included because either they are local styles, favorites, a taste of interesting flavors, or just downright delicious:
Restaurants along (on or near) 53rd street, roughly between the two hotels. Listed from east to west:
- $$ Chant – Trendy spot for creative global fare
- $$ Ja’ Grill Hyde Park – Jamaican spot with upscale-casual vibe
- $ Sweet Green – Salad restaurant - great for vegetarians
- $$$ Virtue – Funky site for Southern Fare and drinks
- $ Kilwins – Handmade ice cream and fudge
- $$ Pizza Capri – Pizza and Italian food
- $ Five Guys – Greasy, popular burger joint
- $ Nando’s PERi-PERi – Afro-Portuguese grilled chicken chain
- $$ Giordano’s Pizzeria – Classic Chicago deep-dish pizza
- $$$ [Mesler Kitchen] – Contemporary hotel restaurant and lounge inside Sophy
- $ Nathan’s Chicago Style – Chicago style hot dogs and other American fare
- $$ Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat – Vegan
- $$ The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar – Stylish cafe with pizza, sushi, etc.
- $$ Cedars Mediterranean – Sleek, modern cafe
Along with more mundane places like Taco Bell (Cheap tacos / burritos), Wingstop (Chicken wings), Subway sandwich (cheap sandwiches), Pap Johns Pizza, Boston Mark (roasted chicken and other American food), Dunkin Donuts, Rajun Cajun, Chipotle (Tex-Mex), and multiple coffee shops.
Restaurants between on 55th, two blocks south of 53rd street: