Call for Participation
Works in Progress Workshop
The WIP Workshop (formerly named the Critical Research Review) is a dedicated 1-day, in-person workshop for ICER attendees who hold terminal degrees or are established computing education researchers to provide and receive friendly, constructive feedback on works-in-progress. To apply for the workshop you will specify a topic about which you’ll request feedback. WIP participants will be assigned to thematic groups with 4–6 participants.
Three weeks before ICER, participants will submit to the members of their group the types of feedback sought and a 2–4 page primer document to help prepare others to discuss the work. At the workshop, depending upon group size, each participant will have 30-60 minutes to provide context, elicit advice, support, feedback, and critique. Typically, one of the other group members acts as a notetaker during an individual’s time in order to allow the presenter to engage fully in the discussion.
WIP is a great way to make progress on some tricky piece of work or thinking, around which discussion with peers always helps. In turn, your reflections and observations on others’ work will really help them, and, no doubt, take your own thinking forward in unexpected ways too.
Hence, WIP will be the right experience for you, if you would like to provide and receive constructive advice, support, feedback, or critique on computing education research issues such as:
- A kernel of a research idea
- A grant proposal
- A rejected ICER paper
- A study design
- A qualitative analysis approach
- A quantitative analysis approach
- A motivation for a research project
- A theoretical framing
- A challenge in a research project
The goal of the workshop is to provide a space where we can receive support and provide support.
The workshop is intended for active CS education researchers who are not pursuing a degree. PhD students are encouraged to apply for the Doctoral Consortium, held on the same day as WIP.
- May 19th, 2023 (AoE): Submission deadline
- May 26th, 2023: Notification of acceptance by WIP co-chairs
- Three weeks prior to ICER – Participants submit their white papers to other participants
- August 6th, evening before WIP – Informal dinner with other WIP participants, location TBD
- WIP will run on Monday, August 7th, and conclude before the opening reception.
Applying for the WIP Workshop
To apply to participate in the WIP workshop, please submit a 1- or 2-page overview of the project you’ll present to the group. Also, include a brief description of your previous research and areas of expertise you would offer the group. While no specific format is required, your submission should include:
- Your current professional affiliation and title
- Project title
- Project description (1–3 paragraphs)
- Stage of the project when WIP will occur (conceptual, new, on-going, near complete)
- Type of feedback would you most like from WIP participants (possible research questions, design, critique, related works, fit with publication venues, etc.)
- Your research experience (qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods; study design; human subjects research; K-12, undergraduate, graduate, or professional contexts)
Submit your application to the HotCRP instance: https://icer2023wip.hotcrp.com/
Accepted participants will then be required to prepare and submit a white paper (2–4 pages) to serve as a primer for all workshop participants. White papers are not published in the conference proceedings.